Saturday, December 8, 2012

1st Phase Has Come and Gone........Wait What?

So the 1st phase of the quasi free agency draft happened yesterday afternoon and there was only one selection that took place. The Fire selected Maicon Dos Santos in the 1st phase. Now earlier this week I had highlighted one of the players that I could see that could help the Fire out and Maicon was one of them. I just did not expect them to select him in the first phase. What this means is that the Fire now have a player that they can make an offer to and that offer basically has to match what his option would have been for the 2013 season. According to the MLSPU Maicon made roughly $113K in 2012 and I assume that is about what he was slated for in 2013.

Now do I like this move? Yes, but I also have a reservation about it also. Now Maicon showed early in the 2012 season that he could be deadly from outside the box. He scored a couple goals for DC that were absolute rockets from 20 yards or more out. He can handle the physically side of the game and as a bench player he should be able to provide a spark coming into games in the 2nd half. Now there are some downsides to Maicon. He has shown inconsistency over the years which has led him to being bounced around the league. I think that the inconsistency is something that can hurt this team but, using Oduro as an example, maybe Maicon just needs a different situation to be in to thrive. This move also provides cover at forward since we all know that Franco is not going to be back with the team in 2013. Well that's all I have time for today but look for my next thoughts to be about why the transfer market maybe be a bit barren for the Fire and trying to predict what Frank has in mind for 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment